Sunday, September 12, 2010

Fall RTW Runway 2010, Part 1: Sifting through the bullshit so you don't have to.

Runway? More like FUNWAY!
Sorry.
The point it this: I've been looking through a select few of the fall runways and wish to show you what I think you might like based on.....what I like. This might be a three or a four part series. I definitely want to start with the knockouts. The collections that were magical and had me selling organs online. I encourage you to have a look at the entire collections but I picked out only a few looks from each Ready to Wear runway. Let us not delay.
I want to start with Erin Fetherston:





What delights me about this collection is that these are the clothes of a woman who is not necessarily trying to be fashion forward or on trend. Yeah, both looks are gorgeous and feel relevant- but compared to other runways- it's totally free of pretense. These are the clothes you would see on the raddest chick. 

I love fashion and I'm always amazed by the craftsmanship and artistry but so many of these collections felt contrived and "fashion-y". Eh, maybe that is the point. But sometimes you don't want to feel like someone else. You want to feel like the best version of yourself. Erin Fetherston's collection feels so authentic. I think that's really brave in a world that thrives on selling you your own insecurity.

These are clothes I could wear and feel totally comfortable in.

The second collection that knocked me out was Chloe:


Wow. Chloe kinda makes me want to wear pantsuits on a daily basis, just for kicks. 
Look at how that materials floats around her legs. This whole show was awash in creamy, rich neutrals. Neutrals are colors I never get tired of. They make the clothes seem like a second skin. Many of the collections employed floaty, silky material. It's a great way to counter the more structured pieces of last season. 

The point is to seek these general themes in second hand shops and restyle them for the street. I can't wait to see everything reinterpreted. 

2 comments:

  1. Finally, intelligent commentary on fashion.

    ReplyDelete